Call for Collaborators: Climate Change Theatre Action
The Only Animal and Pi are working together to put on Climate Change Theatre Action II in Vancouver. You might have been to, or been in the first CCTA that we did two years ago. This event is twice the size—50 playwrights worldwide have written short pieces about climate change and 200 theatres worldwide are staging readings of them in advance of the COP 23 talks in Bonn this year. Given our next door neighbour to Canada has a climate-denier-in-chief it feels important to us to speak for sanity and climate justice on the world stage.
Wondering if you would like to direct a piece for it?
“Climate change isn’t an “issue” to add to the list of things to worry about, next to health care and taxes. It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us...that we need to evolve.” - Naomi Klein
Here’s what we need you to do:
Check the dates. The one show is November 12, Sunday, from 2-4pm at Revue Stage on Granville Island. Your team must be available from noon-4, which includes a mini-tech. You free? Keep reading.
Read short plays: Following this link and read from the selection of plays commissioned by playwrights around the world. All plays re between 1-5 min in length. Our producing team have chosen: Pi chose Jordan Tannahill piece, and The Only Animal is doing 'Idea Moose'. Other than that, none have been spoken for.
Send word: your top three plays and a little bit about your vision for them by the extended deadline THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12th. You might tell us who you want to work with, why you respond to the material, how you want to approach it.
You might decide to do a reading with music stands, or a fully fledged physical production, work with puppets, nudity, video, you name it! Last time we did this we had a range. We don’t offer tech—but you can use any prop, sound, LX you can carry onstage with you in one trip and set up in 15 seconds. Your LX choices are ‘ON’ and ‘OFF’. Please NO FIRE, including candles or smoking. Keep in mind that first choices often have lots of competition, so don’t ignore the 2nd and 3rd in your visioning.
Pass it on: this call is open to all Vancouver directors/theatre makers. We have invited as many people as we can think of from well-established companies, to ad-hoc emerging artists. Help spread the word.
Notification - we will get back to you in a few days and with which play.
- Assemble your team: We encourage all teams to increase representation of diverse actors and women to tell these stories. We are happy to be a sounding board for casting if its a help.
- Contract. Decide the production model that works for your company,—whatever works for you, works for the event. You are responsible for contacting. The event is by donation for audiences, as far as Equity is concerned it is a benefit—which may allow you more options with payment. In recognition of the differing relationships that companies have with unions we are just asking that you make your own arrangements with Equity that makes participation possible for you. It seems possible to engage directors/actors for a 4 hour workshop reading contract for about $70 each. Just an idea, you do what is right for you...
- Send us your team members and company info if applicable. We will promote you and your contribution to the bigger event.
- Rehearse and arrive for tech and perform
- Respond to emails in the meantime to keep the producing ball rolling…
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to ya pronto and for all the brave work that you are doing in the world, thank you…
Kendra and Lisa at The Only Animal and Richard and Shayna at Pi